Weedon Island 8/23/12

Flamingo to Big Bend
TheJoe

Weedon Island 8/23/12

Post by TheJoe »

Fished Weedon Island today, Put in at the Gandy, Very long paddle to the start of fishing. The day started out Windy in the morning and only a Trout to show for.. ( Small One ) Fished the inside back water and had a good number of snook blow up on the Spook Jr. but no takers. Waited for the tide to turn and moved outside to the flat. Wind dropped off and the fishing was on. 3 Nice size slot reds and 2 Snook in one hour, Good old Spook Jr hooked them all... Then the paddle back kicked my butt.. Anyone know a better place to put in so the paddle cam be cut in Half...

Joe
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Weedon Island 8/23/12

Post by Manning »

How about here.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
tony66

Post by tony66 »

I don't know exactly where in Weedon Island you were fishing. If you follow Weedon Island to where it opens up to go into the bay, there's plenty of openings to go back into the mangroves from the Weedon side and the Bay side. It's almost strictly paddling back thru there, if this the area then I think it's a pretty good paddle regardless if you put in at Gandy or Weedon. Somebody please correct me if I've given wrong info.
TheJoe

Post by TheJoe »

I saw I guy out there on Thursday who said it was only a 10min Paddle from where he put in to where I was fishing. It took me an Hour. He said something about a trail from the Museum that put him out where I was fishing on the North side just south of the Power plant. I looked on the map I can't find it... Guess its just a secret bat trail :lol: One day I will find it.

Joe
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Does this help?

More information about "South Paddling Trail" is available here:
http://www.weedonislandpreserve.org/pag ... ingWeb.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

I have fished Weedon from both sides. If you put in at the Kayak launch/pier you have Weedon, Riviera Bay, the channel to the Bay and the eastern islands. It is a fairly long paddle from Gandy but OH so many places along the way for excellent fishing. Just be careful and not get too close the shore by the power plant. If you hear the loudspeakers, You're too close.. 50 yards minimum. Use the maps shown and Google Earth for further help in navigating this beautiful area.
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
tony66

Post by tony66 »

I've been back in some of the trails in Weedon Island and there are a couple that go to the waters edge and not to a look out tower or scenic overlook spot. However, they're a pretty good hike if you're dragging your kayak and gear, even if you have a cart. I'm not sure you're even allowed to drag it back that far, I would definitely ask on of the local rangers or ask at the museum.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

The trails he's talking about are the green paddling trails you paddle through. Unless it is low tide, you won't have to drag the kayak. A lot of it is through mangrove tunnels and are very scenic. It takes about 15 minutes to get from the launch to the bay by the north section of the trail, i.e. 1 to 9 to 14. The trails are well marked.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?

Post by 13 »

There are two really good places on the walking trails behind the visitor center to put it. The first one is a picni area that is exactly 5 minutes walking time from the parking lot. From there, it's a 5-10 minute paddle to the outside of Weedon. The other one is where the waders go. It's completely on the outside of Weedon island. It is a solid 15-20 walk from the parking lot. I speak from experience, it is a very long walk while hauling your kayak on a cart. The picnic area is a great place to launch though. Then you can skip a good 30 minutes of tunnels