Poll ended at Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:22 pm

paddle
41%
rudder
59%

Total votes: 29

JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I have had my Onno Paddle almost 4 years, I still think it is the Cats A$$ I just love it........I use it on my Gheenoe as well for no motor zones.....For the $$$$ it's the Real Deal......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Buy a rudder and get a second hand paddle.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

That is a tough question. Having been one who has had both a cheap heavy paddle and no rudder, I have to say both are huge improvements over not having either.

The rudder is a great addition. It certainly changed my ability to be able to fish flowing water in creeks and it became a lot easier to control the kayak while fishing. And I do not agree they are for lazy paddlers.

I have an AT Paddle. It is incredible. I always believed that the paddle really did not make that much of a difference. But after owning a very nice light paddle, it makes all the difference.

Which one to go with first.....coin flip, imo. Both will add to your overall fishing experience.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
ChasVS

Post by ChasVS »

you already have a paddle, you don't have a rudder. Get what you don't have, not something new of what you already have for your rig. JMHO
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Rudder unless you like to paddle very far and then wade. But if you drift a lot and stay within a few miles of your put in a rudder makes a lot of difference...
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

DaveR wrote: I've heard that for years and it's crap. Rudders are fantastic for drifting shorelines and steerage when you are hooked up to a nice fish. "Crutch" my ass. It's a great tool and if you can someday afford it buy one.
Like I said, it's for lazy paddlers. If you seriously think picking up your paddle a few times to make corrections during a drift is so tough maybe this isn't the best sport for ya. Kayak fishing is not a luxury sport. If I hook up to a big fish all I have to do is put my foot in the water to steer. But that's just me..maybe when I'm older I will need a $200 device to help me steer my 14' of plastic..but not anytime soon.
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

DouGR81 wrote:
DaveR wrote: I've heard that for years and it's crap. Rudders are fantastic for drifting shorelines and steerage when you are hooked up to a nice fish. "Crutch" my ass. It's a great tool and if you can someday afford it buy one.
Like I said, it's for lazy paddlers. If you seriously think picking up your paddle a few times to make corrections during a drift is so tough maybe this isn't the best sport for ya. Kayak fishing is not a luxury sport. If I hook up to a big fish all I have to do is put my foot in the water to steer. But that's just me..maybe when I'm older I will need a $200 device to help me steer my 14' of plastic..but not anytime soon.
Maybe you can man up and use a paddle that weighs 6oz's more :wink: I'll take the rudder and my 14lb paddle.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

If a additional 6 ounces makes me a lazy paddler, so be-it. I'll take the rudder.

While a light paddle is a good thing I think the shape of the blades are much more important. A well shaped blade cuts through the water better and efficiently allows the water to run off the blades. Poorly designed blades push water instead.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Exercise is good.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

guys thanks for all the input, unfortunately i just got a speeding ticket so will have to delay the purchase of the paddle/rudder :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
Mako

Post by Mako »

p911gt2 wrote:guys thanks for all the input, unfortunately i just got a speeding ticket so will have to delay the purchase of the paddle/rudder :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
end of the thread....move on

sorry about that Jose
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

p911gt2 wrote:guys thanks for all the input, unfortunately i just got a speeding ticket so will have to delay the purchase of the paddle/rudder :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
You are never going to get anywhere with that attitude of yours. Please refer to them as "fast driving awards".
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Well, if you like speed and don't care about direction - go with a nice light paddle and a bottle of greenies.