My Dad's Legacy- Pearson Rowing Dory

If you use one that is listed, please add a review. If a kayak or canoe that you would like to give a review of is not listed, please add it. This is also where you can show off your boat.
Uncle Ji

My Dad's Legacy- Pearson Rowing Dory

Post by Uncle Ji »

I know she's neither a kayak nor a canoe but she is human powered and very special to me, she is a gift from my dad. My Father passed away over a year ago on June 15, 2007, and among other things he left me his 15'6" Pearson Rowing Dory. It sat weathered and neglected for several years in his backyard while my Dad cared for my ailing mother who also passed away in April of 2007. My dad did not last 3 months after the love of his life for 60 years left him in death.
I repaired and painted any dry-rotted wood, polished the fiberglass hull, replaced the corroded zamak oarlocks with bronze ones, and added 3 rod holders, a pair of lighter Basspro holders on the gunwales for inshore trolling, and a heavier Scotty unit in the center for when I drag bait for bigger gamesters offshore on my 50 lb. rig. She's easy rowing and very seaworthy, I rowed her almost 8 miles in 3 hours on her maiden fishing voyage last April. This boat is very sentimental to me and I have named her after my Dad.
ImageImage
Back in September before my back surgery I took my rowing Dory out into Kailua Bay to get my lines wet, and in memory and honor of my Dad. I got kind of carried away rowing and wound up first going 5 miles offshore then doing a circuit of Kailua Bay before rowing back 1 mile upstream to my home a total of 18 miles according to Google Earth. I had allot of fun with memories of me and my Dad constantly coming back as I passed familiar fishing grounds. I did hook into a very nice 40+ pound Great Barracuda, she put up a great fight but after the pictures I let her go since Barracuda this size are known to carry ciguatera, I hope she makes plenty babies for future fishing fun. I can't wait to recover and get back out on the water. My apologies for long post. Aloha, Ji
Image,
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Absolutely gorgeous !
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Uncle Ji

Additions...

Post by Uncle Ji »

Fabricated a transducer mount which fits the starboard rod holder, had to add a brace (gray PVC pipe) to the mount to prevent twisting from drag, now can run my fish finder in her. Rowing has it's advantages: Can keep constant eye on both rods and the fish finder at same time.

I also put the new name on the Dory in honor of my Dad from whom I inherited this boat and who taught me so much about boating and fishing, and nurtured my love for the ocean. Thanks Dad.

I also troll with ultralight tackle a 90 acre brackish pond a mile upstream from me for 'Awa'awa, and Kaku (Barracuda), and Lai'i (Leatherjacket).
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Very cool! Don't let that ladyfish poop on it. :D
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Mako

Post by Mako »

Aloha Uncle Ji.....thanks for sharing....great report and pics
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Hatch

Post by Hatch »

What a beautiful. loving tribute to your Father!
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Great report from Hawaii! I want to get out there someday to see my 2 cousins that live out there. Looks like a real stable fishing platform!
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

Very Nice.
ozmo

Post by ozmo »

Thanks for posting this, that is great to see!
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

Very Nice!!! That is great to have something that will remind you of your dad and special times.

I just told my wife last night that some day I would like to build my own boat at that is just about what I had in mind.
265 (9/27 - 235) ----> 230 - 220?