Knot thread (formerly the Bill Jacksons thread)

pbr

Knot thread (formerly the Bill Jacksons thread)

Post by pbr »

Met Matt Carter at Bill Jacksons in the fishing dept., very knowledgeable guy with a lot of fishing experience, very helpfull. Made a very convincing case for the double uni knot, showing me a breaking strength comparison with other knots. Was very forthcoming answering any and all questions, I was impressed with his broad knowledge and candid answers about rods, reels, lures etc. I wish I had met him earlier.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I was impressed with his broad knowledge and candid answers about rods, reels, lures etc. I wish I had met him earlier.
Would that be before you bought the wavespin?

Sorry just had to stir the pot/ :lol:
Credo quia absurdum
pbr

Post by pbr »

To the contrary, he said it was a very underated reel, and pointed out it was a much better reel than most people knew, and better than many "brand names" that were on the shelf. This guy knows his stuff. :wink:
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Very knowledgeable, he did a presentation on knot tying for a BAC'K meeting last year. I learned a lot.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Yep - Matt is quite knowledgeable.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would NOT use the double uni.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

TerryW wrote:Yep - Matt is quite knowledgeable.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would NOT use the double uni.
Slim Beauty, that's why
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
pbr

Post by pbr »

Well the double uni takes more time to tie, and uses more line and leader than others, but the strength is undeniable.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

whats another 30 seconds of your time and s few inches of material costing you ? not a fish!
0 0 1
HellOnReels

Post by HellOnReels »

pbr wrote:To the contrary, he said it was a very underated reel, and pointed out it was a much better reel than most people knew, and better than many "brand names" that were on the shelf. This guy knows his stuff. :wink:
Salesmen do that sort of thing. If he said it was a piece of crap, I doubt you would shop there or be paying him compliments. :lol:
pbr

Post by pbr »

HellOnReels wrote:
pbr wrote:To the contrary, he said it was a very underated reel, and pointed out it was a much better reel than most people knew, and better than many "brand names" that were on the shelf. This guy knows his stuff. :wink:
Salesmen do that sort of thing. If he said it was a piece of crap, I doubt you would shop there or be paying him compliments. :lol:
Maybe some on this board should follow his example then. But I dont think so, he was quite candid about product he didnt like even though it was on the shelf, I think he is far from just a salesman, that's why I respected his opinion.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

He probably said he liked your shorts too.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

The double uni is a snap to tie even in total darkness and when drunk.

Someday, I'll have Hank teach me the Slim Beauty & I'll likely quit using the double uni.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Post by r3krobert »

TerryW wrote:The double uni is a snap to tie even in total darkness and when drunk.

Someday, I'll have Hank teach me the Slim Beauty & I'll likely quit using the double uni.
I guess Terry isn't nearly as fumble fingered as I am. Have any of you used the simple simon double?

Bob
RockinNReelin

Post by RockinNReelin »

Triple surgeon's knot is why I don't use a double uni anymore! :) This knot is SIMPLE and I've NEVER had a problem with it OR lost a decent fish to it either.

Triple surgeon's and canoe man loop knot. :)
~Sharon~
Never lie to someone you trust, Never trust someone who lies to you.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Redfisher wrote:He probably said he liked your shorts too.
Now that's funny! :lol:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

RockinNReelin wrote:Triple surgeon's knot is why I don't use a double uni anymore! :) This knot is SIMPLE and I've NEVER had a problem with it OR lost a decent fish to it either.

Triple surgeon's and canoe man loop knot. :)
X2 :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -