Gandy 10/8/09

Flamingo to Big Bend
Kpmiggs

Gandy 10/8/09

Post by Kpmiggs »

Last night I went out with my friend Jeremy looking for the usual suspects but really wanted to target some mangrove snapper. Anyways we managed to catch 3 Mango's of which only 1 was a keeper, also we did not hook up with any Trout (Which lately I cant find), Reds, or Snook (Which we did see in some good numbers over by weedon. We also tried fishing the bridge for the Mango and no luck there as it was a little difficult to fish the pilings even though we were on a boat (I know this is a PF Forum so don't give me Shit this is an actual report not who wants to go make out in the mangroves). So if anyone has any suggestions on how to target Mangrove Snappers I would appreciate it. So I expect to hear from Rik now :)

KM
TEAM PENETRATION - We Like to set our hooks Deep!
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

If you can post a stinkpot report on a PF forum, you can use shrimp. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Kpmiggs

Post by Kpmiggs »

Damn right at least it was a report in the proper forum and not let's meet up in the mangroves on 4th St. Shrimp are acceptable that mangrove snapper that is cooking in the oven right now ate a green back. I ain't to proud to use bait to catch snapper. And mr Shaft if you would have read the other post named Whats up you see why this report was written, also I had asked for assitance with finding mangrove snapper but I assume you can't catch them either since there was no reply to that part just a typical paddle fishing response. That is probably why I refrain from posting on here anymore at all. I know there are others that feel the same way as I do also.
Chadryan

Re: Gandy 10/8/09

Post by Chadryan »

Kpmiggs wrote: So if anyone has any suggestions on how to target Mangrove Snappers I would appreciate it. So I expect to hear from Rik now :)

KM

To catch snapper at Gandy: Go at the beginning of the outgoing tide. Anchor on the north side of the Friendship Trail on the Tampa side, one bay in from the end of the fishing catwalk. We use 15lb power pro with a 20lb flouro leader (about 18" long) put an egg weight on the power pro (1oz if the tide is slow, 2oz if the tide is really moving) then tie on a small swivel... leader... size #1 circle hook... medium shrimp.

Fish directly under the Friendship Trail and make sure your weight is sitting on the bottom. If there are snapper there (and there are) you will find them. I have done this both from the kayak and the boat. The snapper usually turn on toward the end of June when the water is warming up nicely. They will probably be slowing down here soon, so you might want to get out before the weather starts cooling down.

I have limited out (5 per person) many times this summer. Since they closed the catwalks there seems to be a lot more (and larger) fish there. Those fish sure are tasty.

Sorry for mentioning stinkpots and live bait in the same post, but it is the best way to catch the snapper.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
Kpmiggs

Re: Gandy 10/8/09

Post by Kpmiggs »

Chadryan wrote:
Kpmiggs wrote: So if anyone has any suggestions on how to target Mangrove Snappers I would appreciate it. So I expect to hear from Rik now :)

KM

To catch snapper at Gandy: Go at the beginning of the outgoing tide. Anchor on the north side of the Friendship Trail on the Tampa side, one bay in from the end of the fishing catwalk. We use 15lb power pro with a 20lb flouro leader (about 18" long) put an egg weight on the power pro (1oz if the tide is slow, 2oz if the tide is really moving) then tie on a small swivel... leader... size #1 circle hook... medium shrimp.

Fish directly under the Friendship Trail and make sure your weight is sitting on the bottom. If there are snapper there (and there are) you will find them. I have done this both from the kayak and the boat. The snapper usually turn on toward the end of June when the water is warming up nicely. They will probably be slowing down here soon, so you might want to get out before the weather starts cooling down.

I have limited out (5 per person) many times this summer. Since they closed the catwalks there seems to be a lot more (and larger) fish there. Those fish sure are tasty.

Sorry for mentioning stinkpots and live bait in the same post, but it is the best way to catch the snapper.
Thank you there is at least one of you out there. Much appreciated.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Smaller whitebait is the best bait around for snapper, they will pick shrimp from your hook all day long which makes for a frustrating day. I have also used a DOA terroreyez with good success.

The trick to snapper fishing is never have any slack in the line and have a quick tip rod to set the hook, those bastards are quick.

Much better snapper fishing at the Skyway than the Gandy, IMO. Just going to a slack tide is easier becuase when the tide is ripping you need a big weight to get the bait to them and it is hard to feel the bite in heavy current and a large weight.

There are also a ton of rockpiles around the bay that hold great number of snapper on them. Look on a public chart or look at your bottom recorder when driving around.

How did I do? :wink:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Kpmiggs

Post by Kpmiggs »

Your the man Todd I always liked you. Thanks for your help. I love eating those bastards almost as much as I love eating Snook.
Chadryan

Post by Chadryan »

Todd wrote:The trick to snapper fishing is never have any slack in the line and have a quick tip rod to set the hook, those bastards are quick.

Bingo.

I do agree that smaller whitebait work very well. I just find it easier to stop by the bait shop on the way to the bridge. I have found that if you use small shrimp the small fish will peck it to death. If you use the medium shrimp, the larger fish seem to be more interested and I have not had much trouble with them stealing the bait (as long as you are using a rod with a quick tip like you mentioned).

It has been a good summer for snapper... I think we have caught less than 5 undersized fish this year and the majority of them have been in the 12-13" range. The largest I have caught from Gandy was 15" and that was about 3 weeks ago.
-Chad
WS Tarpon 140
Heritage Marquesa 14
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Kpmiggs wrote:Your the man Todd I always liked you. Thanks for your help. I love eating those bastards almost as much as I love eating Snook.
LOL! Do you use a big wooden spoon in your pot?
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"