First Time to Double Branch

Flamingo to Big Bend
snooker56

First Time to Double Branch

Post by snooker56 »

SPOILER ALERT: This was a trip for food fish as well as exploration. Soon to dead, hanging by a stringer, fish pics included.

I decided to try DB for the first time on Friday, 2/19/10.

It was chilly and overcast when I started out from the launch at State Street. Bundled in my layers of fleece, wool and waders I paddled out onto the slick-calm waters of DB Creek. There was virtually no wind, which seemed a nice change form the recent past. However, it would prove to be my down-fall in a quest for reds.

I was trying to get a nice red for my Redfish Saltimbocca (fillet chunks rolled in parmesian and wrapped it panchetta, then grilled) and/or some keeper specs for fried fish with hush puppies and baked beans (I'm getting hugry thinking about it!).

Anyway, as I said earlier, it was slick calm. I found tailing reds in the flats just outside the mouth of DB. I paddled and floated (it was an out-going tide) into a good position ahead of a small "herd" and set up. My first cast (pumkin seed dart on a 1/16 oz. weedless hook) was fifteen to twenty feet ahead of the pod. As soon as the dart hit that calm water (I tossed side arm to keep the splash to a minimum, too) they changed direction. After several attempts at these and other small schools I could see that the flat water was my true foe here. Ah, well, the Saltimbocca would have to wait.

I now had just over an hour before slack tide, so I moved back into the mouth of the creek and found a nice, deepish area of mud bottom by the numerous oyster beds. I tried the dart and a 1/4 oz. jig head with a DOA Cal golden bream shad tail with no luck. So I went to my go-to lure. A natural color Mirrolure Mirrodine (anyone want to guess what the optional lure in my bag for the next PFTS will be?).

First cast (with a slow, jerky retrieve) BOOM, fish on. A nice little slotter on my stringer. Second cast, BOOM, an under-slot that de-hooked itself next to my leg (hanging the rear treble hook on a fold in my waders, but phew, no penetration, foiling the fish' obvious attempt at revenge). Third cast, BOOM, my second slotter. A couple casts later my fourth and last trout came in right at 15 inches so I put it back for another day. Two keepers would be enough.

After that, nothing but lady fish; No food value, but lots of fun. Then it was slack tide and the bite stopped so I attended to the matter at hand: gutting and icing the fish. Of course, this fellow shows up for the gutting only to be disappointed. No fish for you!

After icing and stowing the fish I headed back. On the way there was a fire somewhere back in the mangroves not far from the put-in at the park.

After a time it died down. I never did find out what it was, nor did any of the other fisherpeople I ran into.

Over all this was my best trip in a while. Other than not getting any reds it was productive for a change. Hopefully it will be getting a bit warmer soon and the fishing will improve. Either way, it was fun seeing someplace new. I will definitely be returning to Double Branch Creek in the near future.
Last edited by snooker56 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: First Time to Double Branch

Post by MarkM »

I never fish at DB because there ain't no fish in there. :wink:
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Great report--You dont see detailed reports like that anymore. I wish I had those conditions when I fished there last week. I had to battle an outgoing tide into a 15 mph N wind all the way back to State st.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Very detailed report. Nice fish too.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Great trip. Now, how do you wrap fish in brushetta?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
wilfish

Post by wilfish »

Nice report and catch. How long of a paddle is it from State St. launch to the mouth?
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
casteryaker

Post by casteryaker »

wilfish wrote:Nice report and catch. How long of a paddle is it from State St. launch to the mouth?
ehh its about 15 mins at a relaxed pace if i remember rightly. I could be corrected very quickly...
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

casteryaker wrote:
wilfish wrote:Nice report and catch. How long of a paddle is it from State St. launch to the mouth?
ehh its about 15 mins at a relaxed pace if i remember rightly. I could be corrected very quickly...
A relaxed pace in a boat with a 25hp motor. :lol:

More like about 30 minutes to an hour depending on which way the tide is going, and how much fishing you're doing along the way.
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

DaveR wrote:Great trip. Now, how do you wrap fish in bruschetta?
Cut the fillets into 3-4" chunks (or whatever size to fit the Italian bacon). Roll in parmesian. You have to get the bruschetta from a place that will cut it correctly. Most cut the end (small round slices) when it should be cut lung-ways to make long oval strips. These are then folded around the chunks and grilled.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

MarkM wrote:
casteryaker wrote:
A relaxed pace in a boat with a 25hp motor. :lol:

More like about 30 minutes to an hour depending on which way the tide is going, and how much fishing you're doing along the way.
I planned the trip for the out going tide :thumbleft: . I wasn't watching a clock, but I guess it took about forty minutes.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

snooker56 wrote:
Cut the fillets into 3-4" chunks (or whatever size to fit the Italian bacon). Roll in parmesian. You have to get the bruschetta from a place that will cut it correctly. Most cut the end (small round slices) when it should be cut lung-ways to make long oval strips. These are then folded around the chunks and grilled.
I've the feeling you meant Pancetta, ...si?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Yup. That makes sense. :cheers:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

DaveR wrote:Great trip. Now, how do you wrap fish in brushetta?
Prosciutto?
Bruschetta is not something you wrap.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

teamshaft3 wrote:
snooker56 wrote:
I've the feeling you meant Pancetta, ...si?
DOH! Yes. Panchetta. Italian bacon, not the appetizer (bruschetta). :shock: My memory gets shorter as the years go by...
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

"bugman" You breathing in too much boric acid? :bounce:

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Your description sounds more like a prosciutto. This is sliced to form the long ovals you mention. Most pancetta is rolled and sliced resulting in the small rounds you did not want.

Just wondering. They are similar products.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.