Sightfishn'

Evan

Sightfishn'

Post by Evan »

Have been doing a lot of sightfishing recently with my buddy Jeff (aka Phlyfisher) from his 16 foot Gheenoe. Sometimes we pole around the shallow flats all day long and make less than a dozen casts in total. Sometimes we don't see the fish until they see us, and can only curse as they bolt away as quickly as they appeared. Sometimes we watch them charge the fly, only to turn away at the last second. Not everyone is cut out for that style of fishing, but on the rare occasion that it all comes together, it's possibly the most fun I've ever had with a flyrod. So many things have to go just right to get one in the boat, but last weekend I managed one fish each trip. Pics are below.

I want to send special thanks to Jeff for his tireless efforts on the poling platform, and to Rich Traugott for tying the fly that caught the Redfish on a day they wouldn't even look at anything else. :cheers:

Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Rik

Re: Sightfishn'

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote: from his 16 foot Gheenoe.
I think American Eagle might disagree......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Is this a serious post? What have you been doing the rest of your time on the water to gain your expert saltwater status?
Evan wrote:I'm pretty sure beadchain-eye clousers are all you need to catch any fish swimming.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Good job Evan!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Evan

Post by Evan »

Rik wrote:
Evan wrote: from his 16 foot Gheenoe.
I think American Eagle might disagree......
Actually Rik, Jeff sold his American Eagle....to me. Now he rocks a brand new custom 16' Gheenoe.
Evan

Post by Evan »

BearsFan wrote:Is this a serious post? What have you been doing the rest of your time on the water to gain your expert saltwater status?
Evan wrote:I'm pretty sure beadchain-eye clousers are all you need to catch any fish swimming.
If you want to see what I'm up to, come down here and I'll take you fishing anytime. If you want to keep posting snarky comments, then maybe you should back them up with some fly-caught fish photos of your own. Last I remember you were dredging the bottom with lead-eyes :wink:
Rik

Post by Rik »

Ahhhh, then I apologize. He had nothing but love for that American Eagle when I met him at his house.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Evan

Post by Evan »

The American Eagle is indeed a sweet machine. Not as stable as the Gheenoe of course, but 1/3 the weight and can be loaded onto my roof rack instead of trailered, so I can launch it from anywhere. Hopefully you will be seeing many more pics from the AE in the near future...
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Nice work Evan! Is there any other methods for fishing other than sightfishn'? :!:
Got me an American Eagle too! Flatback flats package (decks)
I'll come down in Peter's place. He probably don't have the skills anyway he lives in the Big bend where fish are stupid! :wink:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com