Question about Life Jacket

rocrfella

Question about Life Jacket

Post by rocrfella »

Is life jacket mandatory for kayak fishing?
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Question about Life Jacket

Post by ChrisR »

Yes.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You do not have to wear but you must have it accessible.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

It is mandatory and you can get ticketed if its tucked away in the well of your boat. I haven't been ticketed but got an earache from a sheriff for having one in the front well while not wearing it. Even though its was legal it would've been difficult to get to during an emergency. I was only in four feet of water and not wearing it but that was the argument. I've since bought a comfortable inflatable.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
rocrfella

Post by rocrfella »

I have had a sheriff came up and asked for my fishing license on my last fishing trip. I wasn't wearing a life jacket at the time because I was wade fishing next to my kayak. He didn't mentioned anything about the life jacket, maybe because I was wading. I forgot to ask about it. But I think I will pick up one before my next trip.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

rocrfella wrote:Is life jacket mandatory for kayak fishing?
You also need a whistle or other signaling device
Please, call me Kate
screwballl

Post by screwballl »

Uncle Tommy wrote:
rocrfella wrote:Is life jacket mandatory for kayak fishing?
You also need a whistle or other signaling device
You mean the screaming and splashing isn't enough :mrgreen:

I think a lot of it depends on the situation, since I only fish freshwater ponds and lakes, they are not required, but I still keep one close by.
Matthew 4:19
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

screwballl wrote: I think a lot of it depends on the situation, since I only fish freshwater ponds and lakes, they are not required,
May want to read the regs. I believe the FWC has an interweb site with all of this information.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Rik

Post by Rik »

Salt or fresh, doesn't matter. You have to have one with you.
All recreational boats must carry one wearable lifejacket (Type I, II, III or Type V lifejacket) for each person aboard. A Type V lifejacket provides performance of either a Type I, II, or III lifejacket (as marked on its label) and must be used according to the label requirements. Any boat 16ft and longer (except canoes and kayaks) must also carry one throwable lifejacket (Type IV lifejacket).

Lifejackets must be

* Coast Guard approved,
* in good and serviceable condition, and
* the appropriate size for the intended user.

Accessibility

* Wearable lifejackets must be readily accessible.
* You must be able to put them on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (vessel sinking, on fire, etc.).
* They should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them.
* The best lifejacket is the one you will wear.
* Though not required, a lifejacket should be worn at all times when the vessel is underway. A wearable lifejacket can save your life, but only if you wear it.
* Throwable devices must be immediately available for use.

Inflatable Lifejackets

* Inflatable lifejackets may be more comfortable to wear.
* The best lifejacket is the one you will wear.
* Inflatable lifejackets require the user to pay careful attention to the condition of the device.
* Inflatable lifejackets must have a full cylinder and all status indicators on the inflator must be green, or the device is NOT serviceable, and does NOT satisfy the requirement to carry lifejackets.
* Coast Guard Approved Inflatable lifejacket's are authorized for use on recreational boats by person at least 16 years of age.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
rocrfella

Post by rocrfella »

It's good that they don't make us wear it. It would awkward to be wearing them in shallow water. :lol: I'm in 3-6feet of water most of time. Thanks guys!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

This is where they get ya.
Wearable lifejackets must be readily accessible.
* You must be able to put them on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (vessel sinking, on fire, etc.).
* They should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them.
If the l.e.o. is an assho%$ he could get ya if you store it in a hatch like many of us do.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

I have the inflatable type & it wears just fine.
Most of the water we fish is shallow, but there are those spots where you cant touch bottom.
My biggest worry is from an incident with a power craft & being incapacitated to the point of not being able to deploy.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

You don't need more than a foot of water to drown. Get hit in the head and stunned when you turtle, and you could be in big trouble. One snoutful of water and bad things begin to happen. Get your feet tangled and you have a problem. Did that once out of a power boat and it got hairy fast. You may not have any warning before trouble starts.

I have no problem wearing my jacket with only the bottom buckled. You trade shade over your body for trapped heat, so it is not that much cooler without the jacket on.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I saw an idiot near Gandy, get a $90 ticket for not having one, but he was being a jerk!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

:oops:
I am ashamed to admit this but several years ago I got a ticket for not having enough life jackets. We were out on the in-laws pontoon boat where the Kissimmee River goes into Lake Okeechobee. There were 8 of us including all the kids. I didn't think to count before we went out, turns out we were one short of adult jackets. Since I was driving when they stopped us I decided to take the hit. The guys were nice enough about it but unfortunately it was Memorial Day weekend and they had a zero tolerance policy for the holiday. We headed back to the campground (about a 1/4 mile) and found the other jacket someone had taken off the boat. Always check.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Remeber the regs say if you are using an inflateable it must be worn ..not stored.